Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Home of the Free and the Brave

So much happens in five decades of history.  So many changes have occurred in my lifetime.  I often say I am glad I to have lived through these times, difficult or not.  What a colorful handful of years I have had the pleasure and sorrow to experience.  I've often said that you must have the lows with the highs in order to appreciate the good things in your life.  This is true.  I'm hoping that we can get past our current lows.  The economy and lack of jobs worries me.  I have grown children that want employment in their chosen fields.  So I am wary about the future, much like everyone else. 

What worries me most is what seems like the current trend our country is going through; the trend to be politically correct in every aspect of our lives as United States Citizens.  I know we are a melting pot.  Our ancestors settled in the good ole U. S. of A. from every place imagineable.  As did the Founding Fathers of this great country we live in.  They came here with a set of beliefs and desires and set about making this country what it is today through blood, sweat, and tears.  They survived all kinds of tragedies, but continued to preserve their beliefs without making excuses.  They realized that people had to come to a consensus in order to obtain what they wanted.  So has it become difficult for the citizens of this country to stand up for our beliefs?  Does everything we do have to be politically correct, and do we have to always help out other floundering countries, especially when we are faltering ourselves?

Where I live I am surrounded by those that openly celebrate and honor being American.  We still allow the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem in our school.  Here, we respect those that have fought for our freedoms.  Can we maintain this culture in an ever changing world?  I wonder how long until the political correctness invades our corner of the country? 
Happy Veteran's Day to all of our armed service members. Thank you for preserving our freedom.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment