Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Whole New Litter

Tomorrow I will be traveling to an old familiar place I haven't seen for awhile.  My classroom.  It's like an old pair of pajamas that you shove into the back of your drawer, and when you find them you can't wait to put them back on and get comfy.  Except I won't be getting comfy for awhile. 

I've got a bucket filled with supplies:  wood putty, all purpose cleaner, Goo-Gone, and some other odds and ends.  My vacuum cleaner and additional must-haves are ready to carry to my classroom.  I must prepare the place for the newbies. 

In a week I will get to meet a whole new litter of puppies...a. k. a. students.  They really are like puppies in so many ways.  Cute, wanting to have the attention and approval of their teacher, and mischievious when "necessary."  They will have to be "trained" in the ways of third grade.  The first few weeks will be fragile during which time they will grow more confident and comfortable. 

Some will be shy; others outgoing when we first meet.  Many will be looking forward to returning to school, only to be dredding it several weeks later, especially when they have to write in cursive ALL the time or study their multiplication tables one more time.  So much to do in 180 school days.  I can't wait to meet and get to know each and every one of them.  There'll be days when I won't be feeling this way.  But for right now, gotta love 8, 9, and 10 year olds.     

No comments:

Post a Comment